21 July 2013

Blueberry Scones Alternative

 The day after picking 30.5 pounds of blueberries, I hunted down our favorite blueberry scones recipe and set to baking a batch.  Unfortunately for this THMer, said scones are not plan approved.  I had a hunch, however, that if I would make a delicious plan approved blueberry muffin and top it with some plan approved mock devonshire cream, then I would not feel left out of the blueberry goodness my family was going to enjoy.  Below is the recipe for the delectable muffin and the cream I made and ate that morning; as I suspected, I did not feel like I was missing out!

Fresh Blueberry Muffin (S THM)
Mix  well the following in a lightly greased, oven-safe mug or bowl:
1 large egg
2 T. ground flax seed
2 T. coconut flour (I ground my own in the blender)
1 teaspoon 1 T. coconut oil (edited 07.28.13)
4 t. Truvia
1/2 t. baking powder
Then add and mix again: 1/4 c. blueberries
 Bake at 350 degrees until no longer doughy in the middle -- about 15 minutes or more, (I was multi-tasking and just kept checking and adding more time).  For mock devonshire cream, mix together 2 t. reduced-fat cream cheese, 1 t. sour cream and Truvia to taste.  When muffin is finished baking, dump onto a plate and let cool until you can't wait anymore.  Frost the top (which was the bottom and is where all of those fabulous blueberries are now) with the cream and enjoy!
  Note: I adjusted my recipe from 1 T. coconut oil to 1 tsp.; being a THM newbie, I had forgotten that the natural oil in the coconut flour would make up for the reduced amount of coconut oil.  
Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...