27 October 2011

Transforming Mom - My Story: Building Hope


"You are a natural with kids," Kathy, my advisor observed; I was playing with Kay's young son and daughter while Kathy and Kay talked.  "You'll make a great mom someday," Kathy added.

"Yes, you will," Kay assented.

I felt tears forming in my eyes and fear churning in my stomach.  "No, I'm not going to have kids," I asserted, not taking my eyes off of my two young friends.


"Why not?"  Kathy asked incredulously.

"I'm not going to get married, and, I don't have what it takes to be a good mom," I blurted.  My role models were flawed.  My only choice is to not have kids of my own.

"I don't think that's true," Kathy replied. 

I heard her voice continuing to explain her point of view, but the words did not reach my brain.  It's hopeless for me.

I believed those lies for years and made abysmal decisions based upon them.  Thankfully I met a group of hopeful people, and they let me hang out with them.  I began to long for whatever it was that they had.  Ultimately I realized that they had an experience with God that I didn't have.  They were developing a relationship, a friendship even, with Him.  In my own imperfect way, I began to pursue a friendship with Him, also. 

I needed a foundation of hope, so that with God’s help I could tear down lies and rebuild truth.  What did I do initially to build hope?

  • Read and studied the Bible
  • Regularly attended church with some of my hopeful friends
  • Read books about growing in my relationship with God
  • Expressed my thanks to God in prayer
  • Prayed daily for others and myself
  • Pursued deeper friendships with some of my hopeful friends

Are you building hope in your life?  How?




Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...