03 October 2011

Transforming Mom -- Springform Pans

I was baking a cake in one of my springform pans last week, when I smelled something smoky. Upon checking in the oven I found that the chocolate batter
was dripping out of the pan and onto the bottom of my oven at an alarming rate. In that instant I remembered why I haven't used my springform pans recently. I had had a like disaster years ago, wasn't sure what to do about it and decided to put away the pans until I could figure it out.

My recent research uncovered the following:

  • The pan should not leak, as long as you have it put together correctly.
  • The pan will often leak, so wrap the outside in 2 layers of foil.
  • The pan will often leak, so set the pan on a baking sheet to prevent the batter from ending up on the bottom of the oven.
  • The pan will leak, so bake in a regular cake pan instead of the springform pan.

I don't remember if I did any research in the past after the initial problem, but I do know that I hadn't used a springform pan for many years. And my decision to shelve the problem then is indicative of how I responded to these types of challenges; in the past I felt those challenges were a personal failure, which caused me to lose hope. That type of constant dripping of the lie that I had failed and of believing I was defeated eventually brought me to despair.  (Confession:  I'm kind of a perfectionist.)

Now I realize that I did not fail and was not defeated. I either have defective pans, or I need to fit the two pieces together better, or it's really true that springform pans tend to leak. The problem is with the pan, not with me. How I feel about something is not necessarily what is true, and often times the exact opposite of what is true.

So, what did I decide to do?  I will try again and probably set the pan on a baking sheet the first time around. If that doesn't work out satisfactorily, the next time I might try the 2 layers of foil. Eventually if the problem persists, I will most likely stop using the springform pans and use regular cake pans. And none of that trial and error will be failure or defeat. I have already learned much in the process and am being spiritually transformed. I love living in the Kingdom!
What lessons are you learning on your daily journey through life? Be encouraged that regardless of the outcome of the circumstances, you are a winner, a valuable treasure, and a person worthy of love, honor and respect -- from yourself, also!


3 comments:

  1. I have an angel food cake springform pan that leaks the batter all over the oven. I have tried foil and then it's just flat. I decided a long time ago that those pans are evil and I make great stuff with regular pans. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on the type of pan, my grandma always said if you flip the bottom upside down it won't leak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Krista! Thanks for the helpful comments; I will try flipping the bottom upside down also. Sounds like I need to be using my spring form pan often in the next couple of weeks -- yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...