30 June 2011

Transforming Mom – Identity Theft

Sometimes the people in my life have impacted me negatively, also.  I believe that because of the principle of redemption, these negative situations have been, are being and/or will be changed into positive outcomes.  However, during the past 4 or 5 years it has become apparent that I have suffered from identity theft and that it started about the time I started attending college.  And I aided and abetted this theft.




By “identity theft” I am not talking about someone stealing my personal information and using it to buy and sell and whatever else in the real world.  The thief has not been a person per se, but rather an evil entity set against me becoming all that I was meant to become.  It’s been one of those classic good vs. evil battle in the unseen realm that has had impact in my seen world.  The pawns of the enemy were sometimes people and sometimes circumstances, but the real mastermind of the theft remains unseen.

What I do mean by “identity theft” is that the complex facets of who I really am were slowly and deliberately pilfered and replaced with counterfeits.  What I mean by “I aided and abetted this theft” is that I willingly accepted the counterfeits without question.   I readily accepted the lies that these facets of my personality and persona were flawed and valueless.  Furthermore I embraced outward changes that displayed my rejection of self at least partially due to my whole-hearted approach to life.  All was done in the name and under the guise of true religion, as well.  

Experience being the best teacher for me, I finally graduated out of that particular level of maturity through many problematic and dark circumstances and relational messes.  The pain of those circumstances and relational messes staying the same finally overwhelmed the anticipated pain of transforming.  Thankfully now I have chosen, by God’s grace and empowerment, to embrace my design and destiny as I seek to discover who I really am meant to be.  As a result I am experiencing much more freedom, joy, love, peace, patience, kindness, and goodness.   Interestingly I am learning that maintaining an ever expanding freedom requires ever expanding love and self-control.   This Transforming Mom is still a work in progress.   

Have you experienced anything like what I have described above?  What helped you to recover your identity?

2 comments:

  1. I think you are already aware of some of my experiences so no need to rehash all that. :0

    I have pretty much been a victim of Identity Theft most of my teenage and young adult years. For whatever reason my identity was based on what other people thought of me. It was not based on what God thought of me or I thought of me. So I did some things I regret as well as being a total fake, a counterfeit version of myself. I was that person for years.

    Because of a need for an Identity that would be praised I easily became prey to any group (Religious or otherwise) who showed me attention and kindness even if I KNEW in my heart it was a wrong choice. Religious Dogma has hi-jacked my identity more than once.

    Once my identity was wrapped up in something that was counterfeit, it was extremely hard to unwrap it. This has caused many burnt bridges and relational heartaches.

    I'd rather have God and my true self even some groups, clubs or whatever are unhappy with me for...being me.

    Identity is a hard one for many many people. Instead of asking "WHO am I?" and "Why am I here" and having yet another existentialist crises, I say now: "I'm here so let's ROLL" and "I'm not sure why I am here but I am sure glad I AM here and..Let's Roll!.......:D

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Krista! I'm with ya, girlfriend. AB:-D

    ReplyDelete

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...