20 June 2011

Go the Distance!

What is sports camp anyway?  I like to describe it as
like a Vacation Bible School (VBS), only with sports mixed in as the activities instead of the usual crafts and snacks. 

While said camp does include sports, it is not a skill-focused camp.  It’s more of a “having fun with kids while playing sports” kind of a thing.  Our family has participated in three sports camps over the past 3 years, as members of a King’s Kids USA Go-Network team.  This team is multi-generational and currently includes members ages six to 50+.  Last week 47 kids attended our sports camp, and twenty of them accepted Christ as personal Savior.  That was “sweet icing on the cake” for our team!

My favorite part of sports camp is meeting and connecting with our team members and the kids (and sometimes their parents) who attend the sports camp.  I love to encourage them and to watch them having fun in a safe environment.  The teens on our team inspire me to try to be a better person and to live more passionately, going after the things I believe are important.   

The theme for the week was “Go the Distance,” and the daily lessons focused on endurance.  Through the rain, the heat, the humidity and the lack of sleep, our team pressed forward and endured those hardships.  I think we all were strengthened because of it, and I know we had a blast together and with our sports camp kids.  I look forward to our next sports camp and the opportunity to once again go the distance!

1 comment:

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...