01 July 2011

Transforming Mom - Love and Self-Control

“When someone is driving erratically and cuts you off, the first thing you think of is probably not warm and loving thoughts.  But what if the people in the car were on the way to the hospital because a family member was dying?  Wow, that will change your view.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

“Then again there are still mean people out there.  They are usually just hurting, angry and frustrated with their own life, so they take it out on the rest of us.  I usually say a prayer for people like that and try my best not to get caught up in their whirlwind of negativity.  Be sure to not let someone else take your peace away.”[i]

Love and self-control are solid foundations upon which to build.  I know; I mentioned this in an earlier post as something I am learning.  The above quotes inspire me to press into love and self-control with more determination than before.  Why?  The author’s responses to those situations are empowering and evoke a sense of freedom inside of me.  If I can look back over my day and see that I stayed in control of me and loved others, then I have had a great day!  And I haven’t given someone else permission to control me – that’s freedom!  While I am not always successful, I am improving.

I believe that the major changes that need to happen if our country is to continue to exist as we have known it and the minor changes that most of us would like to make in our own relationships start with each one of us individually, not with “the government” and/or others.   

Who are you when no one else is around, like when you are driving or when you are on-line or when you are typing an e-mail, etc.?


Addison, D. (2010). Personal Development God's Way. Shippensburg, PA: Destiny Image Publishers, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...