27 June 2011

Transforming Mom

Everyone has an innate need to be a part of a family.  It’s the way we are wired. 
Stick people clip art image of everybody holding hands and living in harmony.



Despite the splintered nature of families today, it’s a timeless.  Examine almost any group of people and some likeness of “family” can be discovered -- even in gangs, cults and prison cell blocks.  At least, that’s my opinion. 

As I ponder peer groups throughout my lifetime , I recognize the family roles various friends played.  And as I recall, those friends who started to most “feel” like a mom were the ones I felt the most friction with at that particular time.  Thankfully those friends still loved me and accepted me, no matter what mood I sported.

So what does family in the context I am writing have to do with the title “Transforming Mom”?  I see a connection between all the groups of people/family units who had influence on me and the transformation I am undergoing as a mom today.  For better or for worse, my family of origin left a huge imprint upon me.  My high school peers provided me a safe place to explore who I was and be that person, although peer pressure did affect me at that time.  College was the beginning of my maturing process, which is ongoing to this day.  A multitude remarkable people have impacted me and facilitated growth and change, most often in the context of love, honor and respect.

To all of you remarkable people, I say thank-you.

Who were/are the change agents in your life?    


3 comments:

  1. I have had a best friend for the last 10 years. Recently, our relationship has been going through some painful, but ultimately good, changes. No matter what, I am still able to see that I am who I am because of the strong influence she has been in my life.
    It makes me think of the song from Wicked "For Good".
    "Because I knew you, I have been changed for good..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe "family" doesn't necessarily mean you have to be connected by blood but rather by the heart.

    This is especially true for me since I was adopted and had no siblings. I had to adopt some people to take on those roles to fulfill needs I had.

    With parents;  any one can become a mother or father but it takes special people to be parents.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply Heidi and Krista, thanks so much for your comments. Heidi, I definitely can relate to what you shared about a good friend and tough changes in relationship. I agree whole-heartedly with what you voiced, also, Krista.

    ReplyDelete

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...