17 February 2013

Whine and Cheese




Please, grab your favorite cheese and pull up a seat -- I will provide the "whine."

 As it happens I did not fall off the edge of the earth.  Life keeps happening; neck and shoulders continue to knot.  Tool after tool affords fleeting relief.  I envision ending each good day with a hot bath...

 After losing yet another contact lens due to thinking of everything but handling my contacts while handling my contacts, I made an appointment to have my eyes examined.  The doc suggested that I might consider trying soft contact lenses instead of my usual rigid gas permeable lenses.  At the least that way I would have contacts while I waited for my replacements to arrive. I decided to embrace this new opportunity as a catalyst to the beginning of new things.

from www.123rf.com/stock-photo.html


 A week later I drive to the follow-up appointment, still undecided about which lenses I want to order.  It bothers me that the road signs are blurry, which reminds me of how bothered I am about not being able to clearly see the tv from the couch.  And if those things bother me, there's bound to be more bothering ahead.  I resign myself to remaining a gas perm wearer and possibly (in my imagination) suffering the scorn of the doc.

 Imagine my surprise when the doc later arrived at the conclusion that gas permeable lenses were the only option for me.  I walked out of the office with two pairs of soft lenses, one regular and one torque pair to wear at my discretion until my gas perms arrive.  Daily I am living the reality of the doc's statement, "once we correct your astigmatism, you will definitely need to wear reading glasses."  So far I'm noticing that I need one magnification for certain reading like from the computer, from the counter top, from the table top and a much stronger magnification for reading books, newspapers, my Kindle.  Getting older has its downsides, though I know that I will adjust to this new normal.

 The contact stuff seems timely since my birthday is this month.  As I continue to age, I notice that I am more and more particular about some things.  For instance,  recently I celebrated one of my favorite products, while noting that the watch band design does not work for me.  I am blissful after finding and purchasing another Timex with the features I love AND a band that does work for me.






The larger display and more easily manipulated buttons mean that this Timex is my favorite watch, especially since I do not carry either pair of my reading glasses with me while running.  And as I will certainly have another birthday next year, I will appreciate these features more and more.

 Mine is not the only birthday this month.  Three of our kids have February birthdays also.  This week I have baked two batches of Baker's One Bowl Brownies complete with different add-ins, at the request of the birthday girls.

photo from http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/bakers-one-bowl-brownies-54515.aspx

One requested for add-ins peanut butter cups, while the other requested pretzels and m-n-ms.  These back-to-back celebrations have kept me busier than usual, what with the breakfasts-in-bed, presents, and special meals.

 Another activity in which I find myself repeatedly employed is altering / re-fashioning garments in order to conform them to the fashion of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice."  The local home school drama troupe is performing the play in mid-March.  Said "sewing" (I think of myself as a sewing hack) provides me with great joy, despite the knots in my shoulders from sitting hunched over a sewing machine.

 All in all, February so far has been a full-and-overflowing month.  These are just the highlights of my recent days.  Is this my new normal, since I have felt "too busy" for months now?  I am hoping not...

How are your days flowing in February? 


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...