11 January 2013

One in a Hundred



 Trudging over the threshold, I exhale heavily, pulling off the stocking cap with the attached ninja-like face mask with one hand and my purple sunglasses with the other.  Smiling I remember hearing "when the snow lay on the ground, cool and crisp and even," from THE still small voice, while surveying the frozen prairie landscape.  Forcing myself out the door for the morning run was a great plan; despite the below freezing temperatures, I received HIS peace.

 One of my students pleads from the other room for help with math.  I cringe because the emotion in the student's voice triggers my emotion.  "Yes, just a minute," I reply, motoring toward the laundry room to "change over" the laundry that has been awaiting my return.

 From the laundry room I head toward the head and am intercepted by another student who has a question about today's Consumer Math assignment.  "Can you leave it on the penninsula," I indicate the paper from which the student is reading, "so that I can look over the assignment?  I will get back to you soon."

 Safely in the bathroom, I breathe deeply and relax.  A mental to-do list clamors for my attention. However I know that I must work first with my students.

 Yet another student meets me outside of the bathroom door.  Small victory that -- no one knocked impatiently or yelled for me while I was in the bathroom.  This student is awaiting my help with the writing assignment for today.  "I will be with you soon."

 Now I notice a different student altogether loitering expectantly.  "And what do you need?"

 This one needs to teach me the math lesson, thereby verifying readiness to take the lesson test.  "I can't do it now, but I will get to you in turn. You're fourth in line."

 Throughout the duration since I arrive home from my run, my annoyance level has risen.  I recognize that I am not annoyed with my people, but at the sudden barrage of need for immediate attention from my people.One by one, calmly and with His reservoir of peace within aiding me, I help each student in turn, and peace reigns in our house.

 Later, back in the bathroom, I prepare my nasal rinse bottle for usage and realize that the water feels too warm.  "Hmm, I guess I could wait five minutes for it to cool or..."

 One of my students glides into the bathroom , (I left the door open), to borrow the cassette tape player for the Spanish lesson.  Accidentally, she knocks over my bottle, spilling some of the too warm water.  Flustered and with many apologies my student offers to clean it up.  "It's only water; don't worry about it."

 I almost laugh out loud after she departs, because now my "dilemma" is solved.  I will add cool water to the bottle to restore the correct amount.

 I look back in amazement now at this morning.  This was one of those rare one out of hundreds of opportunities in which I remained in control of me.  May this response soon become that by which I am characterized!

 Something one of my students said later that morning made me think of the following, which seems like a fantastic motto, though admittedly random:

"When life hand you lemons, bake a lemon meringue pie!"


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...