04 June 2012

Low g.i. brownies

When all else fails, bake!                                                                     
I have intended to try a low g.i. brownie recipe that I found here for a few weeks now.  Finally last evening I was motivated to bake.  




I told my family that I was baking brownies with beans in them ahead of time.  Happily my family likes them.  They probably won’t request them, but they think they taste good.  I am more of a fudgey brownie fan, but these are a toothsome chocolate treat!

My version of the recipe is:

1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup vanilla almond milk
2 organic eggs
¼ cup soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
½ cup chopped walnuts.

In food processor, puree beans until coarse. Add in milk, eggs, margarine and vanilla and puree until smooth, scraping down sides a few times. Set aside.

In large bowl combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour bean mixture over flour mixture. Stir to combine. Scrape batter into parchment paper lined 8-inch square baking pan, smoothing top. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Bake in 350F oven for about 18 minutes or until cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool on rack.

Makes 16 brownies.

Storage: These brownies need to covered with plastic wrap or cut and stored in airtight container for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 weeks.


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...