20 May 2011

Kindle anyone?

     I'm new to the e-book phenom, and I absolutely love my Kindle.  I have no idea if I would love a Nook or any other e-reader.  I must also confess that I have not actually purchased a book as of yet.  I have discovered that I have a huge weakness for classics; the fact that many of them are free means I always have something compelling to read. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/?node=2245146011

     Jane Austin is a favorite author of mine.  Reading one of her books is like feasting as I stroll through Candyland.  Mmmmm!!!
     "A Tale of Two Cities" hooked me on Charles Dickens' novels.  While it's not my favorite Dickens story, it is the play which our homeschool drama troupe is currently rehearsing.  After reading the book version, I sampled several others:  David Copperfield, Great Expectations, The Pickwick Papers, and Little Dorrit went down deliciously.  I am currently digesting Our Mutual Friend.
     A few months ago, I started reading aloud Daniel DeFoe's unabridged version of Robinson Crusoe.  What a gold mine that book has been.  We are 95% finished with it, according to my Kindle.  Our kids moan and ask every time how much longer until the end, but they also listen enthralled and later in the day talk among themselves about what has been read. 
     There are many e-books available to you via your computer, your phone and probably other electronic devices.  A friend also told me about the service our local library offers of loaning out e-books.  There are websites where you can also read books on-line in HTML versions.  Does anyone know what else is out there in regard to e-books? 
     I say thank-you to all the people who have made these free classics available.  So many great books, so little time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...