30 August 2013

More THM Yummyness

  Though I cannot remember all the "Trim Healthy Mama" recipes I have recently made and eaten, I can tell you about a couple that have been quite tasty.  After buying some banana extract, I made myself a banana peanut muffin-in-a-mug (variation is mentioned in my book, on page 257).  I would have preferred walnuts or pecans for my nut addition, but did not have either on hand.  The other difference in this muffin from all of the other MIMs I have tried so far is that I finally purchased some almond flour and used it for half of the "flour" amount, which increased the delicious flavor and improved the texture.  Lately I have been baking my MIMs in the oven (if I am already using it the oven) or in the convection toaster oven, which I also highly recommend for improving the texture.  Finally, the next time I make a MIM using half almond flour and half golden flax meal I will taste the batter and carefully add sweetener until it reaches the correct sweetness for me.  The amount of sweetener I was using in the MIMs made with only golden flax meal was too much for the new version.  By the way these delectable muffins are gluten and grain free!  I think I will try to make a pumpkin muffin this afternoon or sometime in the near future.
 
  Just a few minutes ago I made myself  a Low Carb English Muffin. I have been craving some snacks that are not sweet but are THM approved, and this recipe looked promising.  If you click the above link and go the recipe you will find a picture.  I did not toast mine quite long enough as it was not as brown, but it did taste ok.  I think I will plan to add more salt and perhaps some onion powder or garlic powder of both to give this more flavor.  I topped mine with butter but will try 1/3-reduced fat cream cheese the next time I make one -- which might be as early as this afternoon.
 
  Another recent recipe I made and devoured is Pumpkin Spice Frappe. The bonus about this lovely autumn tasting drink is that it is a Fuel Pull food.  What is that, you ask?  To summarize from the book, the science behind the Fuel Pull is to strip down both fat and glucose, the two primary fuels, almost fully away and force the body to immediately burn its own fat as fuel.  "...Fuel Pull meals swiftly shed excess weight."  In other words, these foods are like "freebies" when you are hungry.
 
  Now for some balancing feedback, I have tried some recipes that were for me flops.  I plan to continue to tweak the chocolate cake in a mug recipe to my taste, though so far it's less than pleasing.  Also I have been making gluten free/grain free gravies and sauces using glucomannan powder or xanthan gum as the thickener, which does work, but is kinda slimy.  I think the more I cook with these healthy alternatives the less I will notice, but time will be the true test.  Further I am awaiting a tweaked recipe for "Skinny Chocolate" from a friend, though I do enjoy the "Chocolate Slab" recipe.  To this date I have made it without the nuts since I tend to snack on nuts already during a day.
 
  Did I mention that you really, really, really should read this book?  I am hopeful to buy the pdf version soon, so that I can search within the text more easily and print off the recipes in the book, also.  My softbound copy sits on the top of my portable dishwasher, ready for multiple perusals throughout the day.

  What yummy food have you been enjoying lately?

Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...