21 December 2011

The Best Gift

I'm a little confused about what day it is, but I am on vacation!  You see, Saturday was not like any ordinary Saturday because we were hosting our annual 1Voice Cookie Baking and Come Have Fun Hanging Out overnight, which was fabulous because of the amazing world-changers who attended; we missed very much all of the team who were unable to come! 

As a result of this fun-filled event, Monday became my Saturday, which meant Tuesday became Monday.  Although today is Wednesday, in my mind, today is Tuesday.  Add to that the unheard of fact that I attended a movie theater both Sunday night and Monday night (the real nights and not the ones in my mind), AND I just don't know for sure...

Regardless all the days have been fun and have felt like celebrations.  I do love a party.  I also have learned that I need quiet, reflection times, too.  Today while on my way to do the weekly grocery and miscellaneous shopping a song inspired me and filled me with joy, peace, thankfulness and awe.  I love it when God shows up in my day-to-day routine, like driving in the car along a familiar path.  His love is the best gift!  Here are those lyrics that rocked me to the core today:


God loves a lullaby
In a mother's tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes

God loves the drunkard's cry
The soldier's plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

The woman holding on for life
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

The tears of shame for what's been done
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

Better than a church bell ringing
Better than a choir singing out, singing out

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

(Better than a Hallelujah sometimes)
Better than a Hallelujah
(Better than a Hallelujah sometimes)"

Amy Grant, Better Than a Hallelujah 

Songwriters: Sarah Hart, Chapin Hartford

My favorite line:  "Beautiful, the mess we are."

What stirs in your heart when you read these lyrics? 


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...