16 December 2015

The Super Lord Reigns

Isa. 50:4-5a
"The Sovereign LORD has given me His words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning He wakens me and opens my understanding to His will. The Sovereign LORD has spoken to me, and I have listened."

Grabbed by these verses today, I began to imagine and to ponder. . .then did some hurried research about the word "Sovereign," after noticing the word "reign" inside the larger word.  Have I seen that before?  I do not remember, but it captivated me.


This old-timey word, "Sovereign," comes from the Latin word SUPER, meaning above.  With all the focus on heroes and such, it tickled me that God is the original Super hero -- the Super Lord.

Once spelled "soverain" in Old French, the spelling was changed because of the association with "reign."

This lovely interaction with God meets a unique place within me and feeds me like nothing else can do. Words are lovely, aren't they?

From these musings I began hearing inside me:

“Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! The kingdom of this world Is become the kingdom of our Lord, And of His Christ, and of His Christ; And He shall reign for ever and ever,For ever and ever, forever and ever. . .” 
Brilliant that, what is often referred to as "The Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah."

After a bit more searching and poking and pondering, I discovered that "Sovereign" is often rendered "Lord God" in other translations.  Did I know that or was that a God inspired connection?

A couple of other related verses popped up and into my heart from my search:

Jeremiah 32:17  
“O Sovereign Lord! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!"

Habakkuk 3:13 
"The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights. "

I am enamored with and in awe of this Sovereign/Super Lord, who created everything, who is the most strong and powerful, who can accomplish anything, who reigns over all AND who speaks to me, who includes me in His work on the earth, who is my strength, who watches over and protects and guides me, and who fully equips me.  He is gooder than I think and than I can fully comprehend.

Super Lord, my Father, my Savior, my Redeemer, my Friend, my Counselor, my Brother, my King, my Prince of Peace, my Comforter, the Almighty Sovereign Lord who is with me always, Immanuel.

#thankful #celebratingAdvent #celebratingChristmas



Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...