04 June 2015

Swing Flags DIY

Spotted some swing flags at the Women on the Frontlines Conference in Chicago earlier this year and knew that I MUST have a pair. . . which means making them myself.

After researching quite a bit, I found a site that had instructions for making a pair of these fab flags. These are not exactly like what I saw at the conference, but are close enough.

http://dyed4you.com/blog/2011/03/how-to-make-swing-flags/
The instructions at this site were extremely helpful and a fantastic guide for my sewing adventure.  If you have sewn before, you should have no problem tackling this project.  It took me approximately 2 hours from setting up to tearing down.  This web site is jam packed with helpful information, flags and fabric for purchase AND even videos for how to use the flags.  I highly reccommend it!

I chose a green SilkEssence fabric from my local JoAnn's Fabric store.  I love the color and the way it floats! Because I was not going to have someone shoot a photo of me with the flags in action, you will have to imagine that part!

If you have never sewn before or are a beginner, I want to offer you a few tips to go along with her instructions.

1) With regard to "Step 1":  do cut the fabric to the size she suggests (36 x 49"); I left my length at 54" because that's how much was there when I cut the 3 yds. in half.  It does work, but in hindsight I would prefer a bit shorter flag. (Because you will cut the weighted cord to the size of the flag, adjusting this after the fact is more work than it's worth for me.)

2) With regard to "Step 2":  yes, do the ironing as she tells you to do; you will be incredibly thankful. Silk and polyester fabrics should be ironed on a cool or fabric specific setting, which varies from iron to iron.

3) With regard to "Step 4":  Make sure to wait to cut your weighted string to the size you need, rather than whack it in half before you start the project, and then cut it again for each flag.  (I had enough pieces left over to use in another swing flag, which I hope to make soon; I would have preferred to have it all in one piece, though.)  Also, for the next set I make, I will try to make the flags mirror images of each other in regard to the weighting placement; this will not bother most people, but I want each hand to hold the "right side" of the fabric when I am waving these flags.  It's one of my many "Monk"-like things.

4) With regard to "Step 5": When you fold the fabric to make the pockets for the weighted string, keep in mind that the presser foot of your machine will need to fit alongside of the weighted string with enough fabric coming out on the side opposite to the string to actually sew a seam.  Measure the width of your presser foot, add to that at least 1/4" and then be sure to turn down at least that much more than the width of the weighted string.  The selvage side of the fabric is easiest to deal with because you are only making one fold.  The cut sides of the fabric require two folds, which is a bit trickier, but not overly hard.
   Also I pinned the weighted string into place and the fabric for the pocket, both separately.  I am usually not a fan of lots of pinning, but found this to be optimal for me.  The weighted string won't stay in place otherwise, and the slippery fabric needed pinning, too.  As I sewed the pocket, I removed the pins that were holding the fabric, but only adjusted the ones holding the string.
  As for the zigzagging over the weighted string part, I set my zigzag to it's highest width, 11.   I re-positioned the string into the center of the pocket, which meant removing the pins a few at a time as I was sewing toward them.  Then I sewed slowly over the string, carefully guiding and adjusting the string to keep it feeding into the center of my presser foot.  It is a bit tricky to do, but it did work.  I didn't even break a needle, amazingly.

Can't wait to buy some more fabric and make another set!


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

1 comment:

  1. Would like to ask. does the weighted string tears the swing flag easily?

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...