06 January 2015

My Tweaked Bluberry MIM THM S

  I haven't blogged about this (or much other than Theme songs) for some time now, but "Trim Healthy Mama" is still a mainstay in my life as far as food is concerned.


 This morning I enjoyed a Blueberry Muffin in a Mug, THM S style, baked mostly in the oven, though finished off for 30 seconds in the microwave.  {I'll explain that in a moment.}

 Many year ago I read "The Complete Tightwad Gazette," along with several other similar books, all of which were and still are incredibly helpful with ideas for living on one income. 


 I adopted several practices that Amy Dacyczyn suggested, most of which I stopped doing, but one of which I have continued:  homemade muffins for breakfast one day a week.  

 When THM came along, one "banned" food category that I knew I would mourn over was breads.  Not to say that I cannot have bread; I can have plan approved breads, like Joseph's Low carb selections, Trader Joe's Sprouted Rye (LOVE!!!) and other homemade replacements.  I find, however, that nothing tastes like wheat flour, white or whole wheat, besides wheat flour, so I have indeed mourned that change in my eating habits.

 The THM MIM recipes have been decent replacements, and I have tweaked the plain recipe to my tastes to the point where I would not choose one of my "normal" homemade blueberry muffins instead of the THM one.  

 Please understand that this is where I am on my journey, and you probably will not agree with me.  However, if you'd like to try my tweaked recipe, here it is:

Blueberry Muffin in a Mug, THM S

1 flat T. coconut oil
1 egg
5 t. Truvia
2 T. ground golden flax
1 T. almond flour
2 t. coconut flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 c. blueberries

Place coconut oil in small ramekin; melt if it is not already liquid.  

Vigorously stir in egg.

Stir in Truvia.


Add flax, almond flour and coconut flours; stir well.

Add baking powder and stir well.  Add a small amount of water or almond milk is the batter seems too stiff or dry; coconut flour can dry out the batter one day, but not the next time you use it.  

Bake in preheated oven 400 deg. for 15 minutes or so.  Check with toothpick to see if still gooey in the middle.  Can be finished off in the microwave or cooked entirely in the microwave; see the book for details.

{Oh, yeah, the reason I finish off my muffin in the microwave is that I mix up a batch of regular muffins first for my family, put them in the oven, and then make my THM muffin.  By the time the others are ready to eat, sometimes my muffin is not quite fully baked.}

NOTES:  I often top this muffin with a small slather of cream cheese frosting:  1 sm. chunk of butter, 1 sm. chunk of cream cheese blended together.  Then add 1 packet Truvia and stir well.  Finally stir in a few drops of lemon juice.  Spread over warm muffin.  Deliciousness!!!


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...