21 January 2014

Free of Charge. . .You're Welcome in Advance

  Yes, there is is a "right" way to do everything, and if you stick with me, I will tell you all of the secret ones that I know.  I found out that there is indeed a right way to do each task by reading a quick blurb on twitter about emptying the dishwasher correctly.  Internet + the way I do it already = the right way.  It's a foolproof formula.


   The rather unpleasant task I will tell all about today is plunging a toilet.  The first step is to let the mess sit for at least 15 minutes, or hours if you can get away with it.  I don't know the science of it, but I suspect that the water soaks into the mass, breaks it down, and makes it easier to flush away.  In a household of 9 people and 2.5 bathrooms, this is the trickiest bit of the process, especially if it happens after we have all been engaged in a movie or some other event which involves an hour or more of attention.

   The second step is to locate a plunger.  Theoretically each toilet should have it's own plunger in case of a plugpocolypse.  We have been known to have only one plunger, which at one time was so broken down that it barely qualified.  This sad and risky situation was perpetuated when dear hubby and I went out specifically to buy a plunger, forgot the main item we needed, and returned home with several bags of items we also needed, but without a plunger.

   You will have to figure out on your own which plunger works best for you.  There are many models and colors and features.  My most recent purchase has a flange which helps with toilet plunging  and which can also be collapsed so that you could plunge your kitchen sink. . .need I say that the kitchen sink will not be defiled by the toilet plunger.  That is most definitely not the right way to plunge a kitchen sink!

   Back on topic, I read the directions that came with the plunger, which were entirely false.  Who in their right mind is going to remove all the water and hence the floatees from the toilet before plunging?  Nope, not happening.  Just brush aside the floatees and locate the flange of the plunger over the hole, then plunge away.  If I feel confident, I will flush and plunge at the same time.  This is a matter of lots of practice and sensing the opportune occurrences for this method.

  Oh, yeah, and the right way to empty the dishwasher?  Start with the bottom rack so that the excess water from the top does not drip down on the contents of the bottom rack.  Just ask my kids and/or the internet -- you will discover it to be true.

  No charge. . .


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...