25 January 2014

20-20

   One question I have often been asked by other home school parents in regard to home schooling is something similar to:  "What do you use to teach writing to your students?"


   The most direct answer is that we have used Institute for Excellence in Writing products throughout our home schooling years (going on 19 years), and I think they are fabulous for teaching the mechanics of writing.  Therefore I have not shopped around for other products for the specific purpose of teaching writing.

http://iew.com/shop/shopping-resources/decision-tree

   Currently one of my students is working through the "U.S History-Based Writing Lessons, Volume 1," and I have a tip (in hindsight) for anyone using this particular product.  Most likely you already own both the Teacher and the Student Texts, but if you do not, you will need both.  My tip is to be sure to make copies of the pages in the Student Text where the "Assignment" is given, as the Student Text is not provided within the Teacher Text.  IEW grants you permission to do this within your own family; see the "Details" at: http://iew.com/shop/products/us-history-based-writing-lessons-vol-1-explorers%E2%80%93gold-rush-student-book-only.

   For our high school students I have also used resources from Hewitt Homeschooling's "Lightening Literature" high school selections.  The foundation laid by IEW dovetails well with the products from Hewitt. I find myself using Purdue's OWL site for further explanation and examples of various writing assignment particulars which are not explicitly covered in the Hewitt texts, as well as for help with any and all writing assignments where I need a refresher on the "5 w's and 1 h" of the process.

  As a bit of context for why I think these products work for me and for our family, I thoroughly enjoy all things English/Literature-related, even diagramming sentences.  My college degree was in Journalism. 

  What products do you use in your home school for teaching writing?  What do you like about them?  What are some things that need to be changed about them?

Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...