12 April 2012

Creative Outlet

I agreed to re-purpose a donated dress into a skirt for a costume for "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland."  

Here's what I started with:


Next , using the waist I marked with pins while the young actress held the folded over dress against herself, (last week at drama rehearsal), I measured from the hem to the waist all the way around and then marked two inches above that to get a close-enough cutting line, (ala' my friend Deb Baldwin, whom we are sorely missing for this play!).  Before cutting I sewed through all the layers all the way around and just below the cutting line.  Finally I cut it apart:


For the final steps, I zig-zagged the cut edge to fray-stop it, and then turned it under to form the casing for the drawstring.  Sewing on the fabric was tricky, as most of it was beaded; I bent a needle in the process.  Nonetheless, I finished the casing and forced the drawstring through it.  I think it will do nicely!

 
 


Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

2 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! I really don't know if I could've done that! Ironing... hmmmm.... that could be tricky....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Jennifer. I think you could have done it -- another as of yet undiscovered talent of yours! And, I was only kidding about the ironing:-D

    ReplyDelete

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...