27 November 2014

Right Writing

Most of my kiddos write as a hobby alongside of writing required for school; journaling, blogging, participating in NaNoWriMo, creative writing for fun and probably in other ways of which I am unaware -- they write and write and write.  I admire them.  They make me long to write more consistently.  Generally I do journal every day in some form, which is a good thing.  Then there's this forsaken blog.  I also bought some books about writing to fuel my passion and have read some of the chapters, feeling excited and inspired while reading them -- then running out of time to immediately write from the inspiration of the reading.  And then I sleep, and I forget. 


It seems to be a season of life that will not allow for writing, and counter intuitively so.  Less students in the ol' home school should equal more time for other pursuits.  That's what I thought, too!  But lessons learned from the last couple of years have tutored me to keep hyper-focused on my students during school hours (as least compared to the previous level of focus) with minimal multi-tasking.  Happily I can see how this is paying off in the peacefulness and the lower level of stress that I feel this year.  Sadly I can see how little time I have put into this blog and other writing projects.

Then I read the heart impacting blog posts of a couple of my kiddos; the raw pain that leaks into my heart from some posts and the insightfulness that swells my heart from others streams down my face until it puddles on my laptop.  I have promised myself not to blog in a revealing personal way about my kids because I want to protect their privacy, but that one post was so right on and honoring about the siblings.  The creativity and flow of the posts is inspiring as well.  Yes, I will find time to blog and write more.  My entire being cries out for this. 

Until the offhanded comment from one of the kiddos about something reminds me that the time grows short for some things, and that I need to make space for another long-ago forsaken creative pursuit because of what it will give to others in the family, as well as to me.  OK, so I will not give up writing entirely, which would have been my default reactive old self, but purpose to give more than half my available time to the other project. 

Focusing on what God isn't doing in my life is not Kingdom thinking.  I cannot afford to have a thought in my head that isn't His. {paraphrased from Bill Johnson and perhaps other Bethel Redding folk}

What is your next dot?

Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available! Just click on the Follow button or subscribe above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, send me your comments and questions, along with your e-mail address if you would like a private response.

A New Season Ahead = Necessary Changes

Hi, friends. Thanks to all  of you who have ever visited this blog and/or followed it. I appreciate it very much! Finding myself on the ...